A Brief History...
This church began in 1851, as a Sunday school for children in what was then a new and growing part of the city. Three years later, on April 21, 1854, the church was officially established, with a charter membership of 39 people.
By 1858, it was large enough to build its first building, on High Street. The old granite steps of this building are still there. The church continued to prosper and by 1872, a larger building was needed. George and Henry Pevear, wealthy shoe manufacturers, were members at that time and donated our present site. The new building was completed in 1874. It served the church well for many years until it was gutted by fire in 1905. The shell of the building was saved, the top of the tower removed, and the interior rebuilt in the beautiful Italian Renaissance style you see today.
Over the years, the church has been fortunate in having the leadership of many fine pastors. Daniel W. Faunce, pastor in 1881, gave the church its motto, "Keep Right Steadily On," a sign of which survived the church to rebuild, and meet other crises in the years to come. In the last several decades especially, we have become increasingly diverse in our makeup, with many nationalities represented, reflecting the diversity that is in Lynn. We are truly an international congregation serving the needs of people in the city, hopefully pointing everyone to Jesus.